Completed – Blood Bowl 2nd Edition Halfling Team

A funny thing happened the other day, I picked up my Blood Bowl 2nd edition halfling team and painted them. It’s funny because I had no real intention of doing them at all, they were the lucky result of waiting for some new paints to arrive and being unable to prime the minis that I really wanted to work on. The current poor weather and usual dire selection of television programmes on over the winter have meant that my hobby time has increased dramatically recently and so I have managed to get this little lot done as a nice extra for the year.

The halflings including star player Puggy were my brother’s old team that he used to play when we played in a GW in-store league as teenagers. I stripped them a while ago and had them primed in the summer ready to go. The two trees where mine that I used to play in my elf teams. The fingers haven’t survived the journey through time, but I have a feeling that they may have snapped off when I used to play with them anyway. They were never very strong. My sculpting skills are not up to putting new ones on, so I left them off.  I do love these little halflings. There’s something quite cosey and comforting about them. They are very Hobbit like and I can’t ever see them facing up to a black orc in the arena.

I went for a very simple 2nd/3rd edition style colour scheme again. I am still very much stuck in that world when it comes to my minis and the painting. I still flick through the old rules and books and have some very fond memories of teams like the Greenfield Grasshuggers. Again these 2nd ed sculpts proved a little too small and fiddly for my aging eyes and oaf like painting technique. I’m happy with them and that’s all that matters!

I’ve got no plans to play with them for a while so they will sit in a display case on my shelves until needed.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Halflings and Treemen a match made in Blood Bowl heaven

I didn’t play halflings when I was younger, I was too serious about winning to take on the challenge. My brother though was altogether less bothered and that’s how I have this collection of 2nd edition halfling minis. The two treemen were mine, I think they would have been used with the elves, but I can’t remember back that far. The fingers on the trees haven’t survived the years, but I think they may have been snapped off before they went into storage. I seem to remember they were very fragile. So the intention is to strip down the treemen, sort out their hands and then paint them up.

When I’ve a little more Blood Bowl experience, I’d love to try them out in a league one year.

For now they’ll be added to the stripping and painting pile.

Halflings supported by two treemen

Halflings supported by two treemen

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Paint Strip Miniatures with Household Cleaning Products

When I recovered my old miniatures that collection was a mixture of not painted, part painted, ‘good enough to play with’ painted and badly painted. It’s what I expected really but I would like to create some new teams based on the new Competition Rule rosters and I’d like them to be painted as well as I can. I must admit that now I see and hold the miniatures again, I wonder how on earth I ever managed to paint them and how I’ll do it again; everything is so small and so detailed and my eyes and hands aren’t what they used to be. There will be more posts on my painting adventures for sure. For now though I’m interested in stripping down the miniatures that I have and getting teams together.

I’ve been searching the internet and have found this guide from red.sight on the Warseer forum. It seemed to make sense so I’ve been giving it a go. The guide is very thorough and I followed it pretty much to the letter.

I selected the three skaven that I had as well as the painted halflings. Both had a grey primer and the h had a really thick coating of purple paint on them. I put them in an old jar for 40 hours and gave them a good swirl every few hours or whenever I was by the sink. The swirl seemed to help dislodge a lot of the thin coating on the skaven very quickly. The halflings needed the soaking for sure. When time was up I tipped the old Dettol away and put the figures in an old washing up bowl and covered them with some store brand cream cleaner. This was one of the comments / tips on the post and worked really well as it meant I didn’t need water. The gloves and the bowl are essential as the scrubbing does spray old paint everywhere. I used an old toothbrush but think I’ll use a cheap new brush next time as the bristles needed to be a little stiffer. Toothpicks were essential on the halflings to get into the detail; I probably used one toothpick for two models. I then cleaned out the bowl and soaked the cleaned miniatures in tepid water with washing up liquid. I found that I needed to use toothpicks again as the wash off showed up some paint that I’d missed first time around. When I was happy that all of the paint had been stripped I rinsed everything off under cold running water.

I am very happy with the results (below) and have already put some other models into soak over the next couple of days.

Halflings before strippingHalflings after stripping

Skaven before strippingSkaven after stripping