Human Blood Bowl Team Progress

My latest painting project is my metal 2nd edition human Blood Bowl team and I’m pleased to say that it is nearly completed; only a few finishing touches and basing to go. It’s taken a while, but I’ve been trying a to learn from the experience of painting my skaven team.

If you remember, painting the skaven team was my re-entry to the hobby after many (many) years away. Although I am happy with the end result, the techniques used are very basic and I wanted to try and improve on the next project that I took on. I selected the humans mainly because I had enough models to fill out a roster, but partially because of the features of the models themselves. They all wear some kind of uniform and armour and there are no chaotic flesh tones or fur to cope with.

I started off with the Miami Dolphins’ uniform and colours as inspiration but I wasn’t going to make a rigid copy of them or make every model adhere strictly to every line and detail. I wanted an overall cohesive scheme but wanted to keep it within the bounds of my capability with a brush.

So here they are.

From the very start I thinned out the base coat with water and did two thin coats rather than the single ‘from the pot’ coat that I did on the skaven. It was so much easier to apply and even though I used a production line to get them painted it seemed to be an easier job than with the skaven, even though I had to do the whole squad twice.

I then applied washes to all three main colours. I used the colour chart on the GW website as I’m still nowhere near confident enough with paint or colour to stray too far from what is recommended. I wasn’t sure how to do white uniforms, but a quick look on a few internet painting sites had said to dry brush with the base coat colour after a wash of Nuln Oil. It’s here that I had an absolute freak out when I applied the wash to my nice, white uniforms. I thought that they were ruined to be honest. The uniforms and armour were a dark grey, almost black and I didn’t know how I was going to make them white enough again. Apprehensively I applied the dry brush over the top, and although the finish is a little too powdery for my liking,  the colour has come back to a white again.

It’s here that I then tried to apply to highlight layers to the models. This isn’t something that I did on the skaven, so I wasn’t exactly sure how to do it or indeed if I had the brush skill to do it. I used the suggested colours from the GW site again, a palette and a fine detail brush. I must say that the end result is pretty pleasing. I was liberal with where the light source was coming from and it’s not consistent, but I’m glad to have used a new technique and the result is quite nice. I did suffer a little from my painting area not being lit properly. I need to invest in a couple of daylight bulbs before I start the next project.

I then applied a little dry brushing where I though it needed it and then started some of the details. I wanted to put lines on the helmets, shoulder pads and legs in keeping with the Dolphins’ images used for inspiration. I was very nervous starting out as I wasn’t sure my hand was steady enough to accomplish the kind of end result that I needed. Again, here I impressed myself with what I managed to do. It’s not perfect but it really finished of the team. Without the details I don’t think the scheme would work.

I’m probably going to base them with a grey sand/rock type material as a little homage to the Astrogranite pitch of the 2nd edition.

Any constructive comments on technique or finish would be welcomed as I am always looking to improve.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s